Friday 2 March 2007

Dual Identities








What does having a dual identity entail?

Dual identities have become part of British society. Having a dual identity myself, being British Asian, I place more emphasis on the British aspects of my life. I'm not saying that my Asian background does not influence my life, it does but in different ways, such as the cultural aspects. I find myself having the best of both worlds. People living in Britain from different backgrounds and cultures are able to enjoy and celebrate both identities without feeling left out.

So why is it necessary for the government to make people from other backgrounds feel that it is necessary for those people to give their cultural identities and adopt a more "British" one in order for integration to occur?

Gordon Brown recently suggested that people would have to prove their Britishness in order for them to be considered a British citizen. I feel that this is unfair as there are people born and living in Britain who have very little knowledge or are ignorant about British culture. The questions that arise from this are what kind of questions will be used to "test Britishness"? I feel that if those same questions were posed to current British citizens they may not be able to answer them anyway so what hope does it give to those who would like to be considered for British citizenship?

click here to read more about identity in Britian

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

I think the 'Britishness test' is an ineffective idea and the questions are pointless, how does knowing the answer to this question - "if you were in a pub and you spilt someone's drink what would you do"? solve Britain's integration problems?

Anonymous said...

I am not keen on the Britishness test either, mainly because people here would not even pass it so it is pointless asking immigrants to take it. I have an aunt who is trying to get a British passport and there are questions asked that not even the majority of British people would know. Which court does not use a jury, how often are elections held, etc.

(It's Jayna by the way)